Monday, August 17, 2009

baked goods... with recipes this time!

In my attempts to expand my cooking repertoire I've mostly succeeded in the baking aspect, but what can I say... who doesn't have a sweet tooth? :) This last week I attempted at two new vegan recipes. They're better than you'd expect vegan baked goods, it's been argued by a panel of my peers that these two goodies have more flavor than your traditional recipe provides. This week I made another type of chocolate chip cookies, which were softer and sweeter than the last ones I made; I also made Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.




Lex's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie-Pancakes

I call these cookie-pancakes because they had a slight pancake-like texture, which is bad when they're sitting on the table when you wake up, because it makes them an even more delicious breakfast treat.

Recipe:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup (I used maple agave syrup - if you use agave syrup I would advise you to use a little less because it makes it even sweeter, but the syrup is necessary for the binding process)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup soy milk
chocolate chips (as many as your little heart desires)

Mix this all together in a large bowl. Place batter a few inches apart on a SPRAYED cookie sheet. And then bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 mins.
Note: when you put the batter on the pan it is extremely watery & thin, don't worry the cookies raise a lot. Also, if you don't spray the pan it will take forever to remove the cookies from the cookie sheet.



Zombie Cook's Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Recipe:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 fresh squeezed lemons (or 2 tsp lemon extract)
2 tsp vanilla or almond extract

Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, poppy seeds & salt in a large mixing bowl. (Feel free to add more poppy seeds if you'd like). Next add the wet ingredients & stir until it's all mixed together. Pour into a muffin tin. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 mins.

This makes about a dozen regular sized muffins. To get the lemon flavor just right be sure to taste the batter before you bake them - Personally I would have added more, but my roommates thought these muffins had the perfect amount of flavor.


***The best thing about vegan goodies... you can eat all the batter you like without worrying about getting sick (you might get a sugar rush tho).

1 comment: